Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Happy New Year!

...like you haven't heard that a thousand times already. 2008. Whoopie. You know how I spent New Year's Eve? Babysitting. It was a party and a half, let me tell you. Set off the fire alarm. Yeah, that was great. Amazingly, only one of the boys woke up, and he went down again right away, so it wasn't a huge deal. Just very stressful for me. I mean, you think that just sitting around, reading, maybe watching a movie while the kids sleep wouldn't be all that eventful. Then there was this candle sitting on the counter and the flame was going crazy. It was super high, and all around the inside of the glass. It was around a bunch of flammable stuff, so I moved as much as I could, but I couldn't move the candle itself 'cause it burned my fingers. So I took an orange out of the fridge and smothered the flame. Yay me, it put the fire out. But, when you smother a large flame like that, it creates a lot of smoke. And that smoke set off the alarm. Panicked, I tried calling the parents to see if there was some way I could turn it off. They didn't hear the phone ring. So, I called Chryssie, almost in tears at this point because I had no idea what I should do, and the moment she answered the phone the alarm stopped. Then started up again a couple minutes later. I opened a door to try and air out the kitchen a bit, and the alarm turned off again after a bit and then it was fine. Then one of the boys woke up, and he's the one who is rather difficult when it comes to sleeping properly and such. Lucky for me, it was 11:00 and he was extremely tired and fell back to sleep quite easily. After that my evening was gratefully uneventful. Go ahead laugh if you want, my sisters already did. Yeah, I did too. Other than that little incident, it was a rather enjoyable evening. I got to read a lot, I was alone, it was quiet. Very nice.

So, that's my exciting story for today. January 1, 2008. Aren't you proud of me? I'm not making any promises, though, to keep up regular posts. Never have been good at keeping those New Year's Resolutions.....

3 comments:

Dan and Lynn said...

Happy New Year Kaeli! I've enjoyed reading your blog the last few months, and I'm looking forward to reading more about your life in the new year!

Sounds like you had quite the evening! It's amazing how stressful babysitting can be when something so simple goes so wrong!! Glad to hear everything was okay in the end, and it sounds like you did everything right. But I'm sure the alarm ringing constantly didn't help the stress levels! Anyway, thanks for sharing your evening, and congrats on passing your road test!!!

Chrys said...

you can't blame us for laughing - it is pretty funny!
i'm not sure why you called me though...i was also babysitting and couldn't have come over if I wanted to!! :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Kaeli
Happy New Year. Congrats on getting your license. I love reading your blogs so hopefully you will find it in yourself to keep us posted on your most interesting events!!!

Love ya
A. Lori